The Idaho Roses Go Nuts

On September 8th, I received a text from my daughter, Jenn, who had heard from a neighborhood friend who had discovered two baby squirrels in their yard.  Unfortunately, one of the babies was already deceased and the other was way too young to survive on his own.  I contacted two of my “animal people” and found the baby a new momma in Sharon Rae.


Sharon and I researched the heck out of what to do and she began the long, arduous, scary and time consuming work to keep this little one alive and healthy.  Keeping the little one warm, hydrated, fed (about every two hours) and making sure that he peed and pooped at each feeding, was a huge task. Sharon shed many tears of worry fearing his imenent demise after aspirating formula or not eating.  She is amazing!


I was given the opportunity to babysit the little one periodically which involved a lot of holding and snuggling, feeding him special formula with a syringe and helping the little critter poop and pee.  (Yes, I’m a little scarred for life..)


Having the opportunity to hold a baby squirrel is something that few will pass up.  Early on he was very snuggly and loved soft voices and lots of kisses.

Jonathan with “Sunny”


Tori with “Sunny”

Toni with “Sunny”

Heather with Sunny


Jenn with Sunny...(more recent photo)

So, as Sunny has grown and gotten happier and healthier, the Idaho Roses needed to take their turn with a Sunny photo shoot.  







So, photo shoots aside, taking care of a squirrel and keeping him alive is an absolutely full-time job. Sharon does such an amazing job with this sweet little creature.  As he’s gotten bigger, he’s gotten squirrelier as well. He treats us all as his personal playground and jumps from one person the the next and circles legs and torsos just like the squirrels in the wild.  


Sharon, with Sunny making himself at home on her head. That’s Baby, the cockatiel, on her other shoulder. 

My latest encounter with him involved feeding him some nuts (which he LOVES).  He attempted the hazelnut first, his teeth scratching the shell sounding very close to fingernails on a blackboard.  He gave up that one, jumped to my head, and buried the nut deep in my hair.   Then he successfully tackled the almond.

I know that my sisters already think I’m crazy with how much I love our bearded dragon, Alduin, but I think that they are positive I’ve gone over the edge with the addition of this newest love, Sunny the Squirrel.  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LITTLE BROKEN ANGEL

A THORN FOR THE ROSES!

We’re Baaaaaaack!!!! Maybe?